Household Content Insurance in South Africa

Household Content Insurance covers all your personal belongings and possessions - all of that which are 'inside' your house

Household Content Insurance covers your personal
belongings - all that which are 'inside' your house

Why Household Content Insurance:

Homeowners Insurance (or Buildings Insurance) only protects the insured against loss/damage to the actual 'physical structure' of your home. It does however, NOT also cover the insured for the household content, or that what is 'inside'. Therefore bear in mind that these are two separate types of insurance cover - each with its own set of rules.

The financial investment you have made in aquiring the household contents on the 'inside' of your home over time, is likely to be an considerable amount! Therefore, insuring your household contents, should definately not be overlooked. Even replacing the contents of just a single room, could cost you a small fortune.

Home Contents Insurance (or Household Cover, as it is also known), is therefore absolutely vital to protect this financial investment you have made over a period of time.

Most Household Content Insurance policies, would cover the following:
  • Loss or damage of household content caused by theft or attempted theft (housebreakings, visible forced entry & robberies);
  • A fire or explosion;
  • Acts of Nature (eg. earthquake, wind, hail, storm, flood or snow);
  • Impact from vehicles, falling trees, aircraft, etc.;
  • Damage caused by bursting or overflowing geysers (i.e. water heating systems) or pipes;
  • Liability to other people, including domestic employees.
Ensure that you read, as well as understand the Terms and Conditions - or get your Broker to assist you.

DIB Solutions (Pty) Ltd have partnered with reputable underwriters and various insurance companies in order to assist our clients with appropriate Insurance cover – we can therefore also assist clients with tailor-made products (where applicable) at competitive premiums. We provide a professional and personal service, as well as build long-term relationships with our clients. Discuss your individual needs with one of our experts.

Also note some of the important considerations when looking for Household Content Insurance:

  • What is normally covered by Household Content Insurance?
    • It covers your personal belongings and possessions 'inside' your house.
    • This cover includes items such as: Furniture, clothing, jewellery, electronic equipment & appliances, rugs, curtains, removable paintings and mirrors, gardening equipment, garden furniture, handyman tools and sporting equipment.
    • Outside: Garden furniture, tools and other equipment utilised outside, also fall under this cover.
  • Why do I need Household Content Insurance?
    • Cover for events out of your control – such as: Fires and natural disasters;
    • Insure that in the event of accidental damage due to insured event or theft, you can repair or replace your valuable items;
    • Prevent financial loss.
  • Also, important points to remember:
    • High value household content items must be specified separately e.g. jewellery, laptops, camera’s, cell phones, eyewear, designer property (eg. handbags), etc;
    • Valuation certificates to be held (as proof) for all your high value jewellery items. Remember to have these adjusted annualy, in order to keep up with inflation costs – when maybe having to have it replaced;
    • Proof of quantum to be kept for all your electronic equipment;
    • Replacement Value: The sum insured must be linked to inflation. Note: Before you insure the contents of your home, make a list of the contents of each room and find out how much it would cost to replace each item at today’s prices – which is not the same as the price at which you bought the items. Add everything together to determine your total replacement value.
    • You should have some sort of proof that the items you claim for, indeed belonged to you (eg. proof or payment slips etc).
    • Video: It is also wise to take video footage of the content of each of the rooms inside your house – including the content inside of your cupboards – and store it away safely.
    • Photographs of your 'special' items, together with their serial numbers and payment slips, can also be helpful – especially in cases of possible disputes.
    • Additions: Remember to keep your Broker informed of all new financial additions to the Home Content, that should also form part of the cover (eg. a new Piano), so that your policy can be updated accordingly. Also update your video footage and/or photographs, together with payment slips etc - as proof.

Please contact us today for fast, friendly, professional advice and service!

Back to DiB Solutions

Back to Articles